Last week was my bea’s birthday (lol. Danie biko don’t come and start teasing me oo) All the gift i wanted to get him were either too expensive or online (which meant it would take another week to get to me) i was genuinely confused. I kept thinking of what to get him.
He is like a serious tea lover, So i decided since he loves tea so much, i’ll just give him tea! (And there’s this great ginger/honey tea we never run out of at home) So i decided to gift him a mug and a pack of tea, a gift that he would genuinely love and make use of, and i don’t have to spend a dime! I’ll just steal one mug from the storage and bravo! (I hope he doesn’t see this) It’ll be his own personal (and hopefully favorite mug) and that way whenever he is drinking tea, he would always think of me and smile (lol) isn’t that clever?
Any way i felt like just gifting him a mug would be too impersonal and just plain lazy. I wanted it to be a bit special, more personal, so i thought about a brilliant post i had seen on demi’s blog (about putting chocolate spoons inside the mug) Sometime last year and i knew i just had to copy it. Check out Demi’s blog Here. She’s got really cool stuffs going on..
Back to personalizing the gift.. First i got my brother to help me inscribe the mug with some words, after seriously deliberating on what to write, i finally settled on “my baby loves tea” cause that statement in itself is very true and also cause i didn’t want to be too corny and start writing lovey dovey stuffs. Then i got to making the chocolate spoons and just tweaked it a little to give my own unique touch to it. After i was done i was so proud of myself and my bae loved it so much (he is also a lover of chocolates) I feel like this is a perfect gift if you got a lover or a friend who likes tea/cofee (everyone loves tea/cofee, i mean there is no inbetween) if the person loves chocolate, that’s an added bonus too.
Check out my post on how to have the perfect date Here.
The chocolate spoons just gives the present a quirky fun vibe and it just seals the deal on effort, if the person doesn’t like chocolate, you could always switch the chocolates for any other kind of sweets (candy, mashmellows) and the best part is that it shows that you really put in thoughts and effort into the gift and if you are lucky, you would not even need to spend a dime!
Here’s how to make the chocolate spoons..
- You’ll need… A scissors, some disposable spoons, cellophane, ribbon, chocolates, (or any sweet of your choice) extra decorations (if required) (most items can be found at home and if not getting them would cost nothing more than five hundred naira, here in Nigeria)
P:S: If you are using store bought chocolate, put it in a bowl and melt it, either by putting it inside a microwave or by heating it up on a cooker. (I made my own chocolate at home by myself, if you would like to know how you can make your own chocolate at home, kindly indicate so in the comment section below and i’ll put up a recipe soon)
- After you have your chocolate ready, clean the spoon and just start pouring the chocolate inside. (if you melted your store bought chocolate, it’ll be more liquid than mine, but that’s ok, it’ll set)
- Add any other savory sweet you like (in my case, i added maltessas and some cocoa pops)
- Once done pouring the chocolate and sweets into all the spoons, put them in the freezer to set and harden. Leave for as long as you like until they are harden (but not to hardened so bae doesn’t crack his teeth)
After that, it’ll look like this..
- Bring them out of the freezer and wrap each one with cellophane, using thin ribbons to tie it shut.
- Cut off any extra cellophane or ribbons.
That’s it! As simple as that.
Simply put the spoons inside the mug and present it to your loved one. You can decorate your mug with more ribbons and decorations but i chose not to do mine cause of the writing already on it.
If you would like to know how to inscribe on a mug by yourself at home, kindly let me know too and i’ll put up a tutorial.
Do you think this is a great idea for a gift to a loved one? Would you be trying it yourself? And how would you make it different?