Some may be wondering why it’s even important or necessary to define your personal style? A well-defined style shows your self-confidence and solidifies your knowledge and people’s knowledge of you. I want to talk about how very important it is to have your definite style but first… it’s been a while there huh! Lots have been happening, and I know a lot of you want a life lately post but my last post was a life lately post so I thought we would switch things up and I would publish a life lately post some other time.
So back to the question of personal style..
This is a question I’ve been getting a lot of lately. What words comes to mind if anyone were to try to describe my personal style? What are the textures fabrics, silhouettes, colors, patterns I like? How do I best describe my style with actual adjectives? How do my cloths make me feel? What shapes and silhouette do I see? While this may seem like a straight forward questions in need of straight forward answers, I found that frankly It took a lot of time and thinking for me to answer even some of them and finally get a grasp on how I want to be seen and what kind of style I wish to identify with. So if you are having the same problem, then you are welcome…
HERE ARE SOME USEFUL TIPS ON HOW TO GET MORE CLARITY ON YOUR PERSONAL STYLE
- TAKE A GOOD LOOK INTO YOUR CLOSET: Really take a good look at your closet, you will find you can actually learn more about yourself if you pay attention.
- CREATE A LIST OF THE CLOTHING PIECES YOU GET EXCITED ABOUT WEARING: Do you get excited about wearing a skirt? Is there a particular trend you are always excited about wearing?
- BE REALISTIC AND PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS: Don’t have the abs for it? Then crop tops are probably not the pieces to stock up on?
- SELECT OUT THE PIECES YOU NEVER WEAR OR HARDLY EVER REACH FOR: That jeans or that blouse that has been collecting dust on the top shelf? It’s so expensive and so pretty but you never reach for it? I think it may be time to donate it to goodwill?
- TAKE NOTE OF THE ITEMS THAT ARE ALWAYS ON REPEAT: Are you always reaching out for that same bubu or that same dress, even though your closet is filled with other clothes?
- LOOK FOR SIMILARITIES IN YOUR BASICS: Do you have more stripped tees than necessary? Are you always buying the same color of clothing?
- BE REAL ABOUT YOUR LIFESTYLE NEEDS: Are you a teacher and yet you got more suits than actual clothing? Are you a banker styling denim every other day? Could it be that you need more work wears in your closet?
- WHO ARE YOUR STYLE ICONS/INSPIRATIONS: Sometimes, taking a good look at the people you are always looking up to helps too.
Do you have a clear answer for all or most of the personal style questions above?
Then you should have a good understanding about how you think you can define your personal style. Don’t forget style goes beyond clothing too, it encompasses accessories, and details, even your beauty routine. Are you more of a skin care person or a makeup person? What kind of makeup are you comfortable with?
The next thing to understand is you can’t define your style with a single word. Style is much more complicated than that and a person may have more than one personality depending on the occasion or their lifestyle. Ultimately, your style can be defined by the most obvious basics you possess, your lifestyle choices and your most obvious personality.
Even though my style is still evolving, I’m excited to be able to pin point a few notable words than can describe me.
I PICKED OUT SOME ADJECTIVES THAT I THINK BEST DEFINE MY STYLE.
NOW ITS YOUR TURN, COME UP WITH ADJECTIVES THAT BEST DESCRIBES YOUR STYLE AND SHARE THEM WITH ME IN THE COMMENT SECTION.
PS: My photos where taking by amazing photographer @jimishoots (on instagram)